1.25.2013

Prologue Zarathustra





---------------------------------------------------------

For a long time Zarathustra slept, and not only dawn passed over his
face but the morning too. At last, however, his eyes opened: amazed,
Zarathustra looked into the woods and the silence; amazed, he looked
into himself.



Then he rose quickly, like a seafarer who suddenly sees
land, and jubilated, for he saw a new truth.




And thus he spoke to his heart:




An insight has come to me: companions I need, living ones – not dead
companions and corpses whom I carry with myself wherever I want to.


Living companions I need, who follow me because they want to follow
themselves – wherever I want.



An insight has come to me: let Zarathustra speak not to the people but
to companions. Zarathustra shall not become the shepherd and dog of a
herd.



To lure many away from the herd, for that I have come. The people
and the herd shall be angry with me:


To lure many away from the herd, for that I have come. The people 
and the herd shall be angry with me: Zarathustra wants to be called a 
robber by the shepherds.





Prologue
  of Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Friedrich Nietzsche
Translated by Walter Kaufmann



----------------------------------------------------------------------------